Sunday, June 22, 2008

Songs From Movies With Good Taste In Music

1. One Way Or Another- Blondie
Mean Girls. Yes, Mean Girls. It was actually a good movie. 
2. We're Going To Be Friends- The White Stripes
Napoleon Dynamite. The hype at my school about this movie was kinda like the hype of Vampire Weekend or The Strokes on music blogs everywhere. I didn't think it was that great though. But his dance moves were pretty sweet. 
3. Immigrant Song- Led Zeppelin
The soundtrack from School of Rock was a little too rock'n'roll for me, but Zep is classic. The "Celloo-ho, it's a bass!"
4. Caring Is Creepy- The Shins
For all of you who think I have bad taste in movies & so far have chosen "mainstream" or sucky movies, here's a song from Garden State. Who can deny the hardcore indieness of this film? With the Shins loving Natalie Portman & song choices of Coldplay & Iron & Wine. 
5. The Book I Write- Spoon
Spoon wrote this song for Stranger Than Fiction. It was a little darker than I was expecting. The movie I mean. As for the song, I absolutely love the song & wish Spoon would release it on an EP or something. Anyways, what movie can say they've featured a Maximo Park or M83 song as well?
6. Search & Destroy- Iggy & The Stooges
Now we reach a film by my favorite director, Wes Anderson. While The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou wasn't my favorite Anderson film (we'll talk about that in a minute), it was still an entertaining movie with a pretty original plot line. Finding a jaguar shark to avenge a friend's death? Yeah. So I think this song represents the movie pretty nicely.
7. What Ever Happened?- The Strokes
I bet you knew I couldn't refrain from featuring a Strokes song. Well you were right. Okay so not going to lie, Marie Antoinette was a big disappointment. I'd read two books about her including the one the movie was based on. The movie was just.... fail. Basically it was just an eye candy movie. Cool costumes, nice scenery, colorful cakes everywhere. & nice ear candy too, what with the Cure & New Order in the background & all.
8. These Days- Nico
Now we get to my favorite Anderson movie as well as my favorite movie of all time. The Royal Tenenbaums. I absolutely lovelovelovelove this movie as well as the music. I think every song just compliments the scene it appears in. 
9. The Call- Regina Spektor
You may remember this post about this song a while back. It's from The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. I kind of feel like a loser for admitting I like this movie... but the pull of the Wardrobe is just too strong! Rather, the pull of William Moseley. Haha. Whatevs. This is such a good song. I love Regina Spektor. I love William Moseley. I love this movie. So there. 
10. Anyone Else But You- The Moldy Peaches
You've probably been waiting, saying what kind of "Songs From Movies With Good Taste In Music" Muxtape would this be without something from Juno! We'll it wouldn't be, so that's why this is here. 

So now that I've somewhat introduced the topic of movies, & The Royal Tenenbaums, it seems only fit that I should show you the new Vampire Weekend music-mini-movie for "Oxford Comma." It's done in a style a la Tenenbaums, if you've seen it before, you'll see what I mean. 
Also, did you know Ezra Koenig used to be a school teacher? What I wouldn't give to have had him as MY teacher..... click for the full story

Speaking of The Shins, the same Shins from Garden State, they're starting their own record label say what?

If you want to see something pretty click hurrr. It's Conor Oberst's new album cover & the first time he's put himself on one. He seems a lot cleaner.

No comments: