Sunday, June 8, 2008

"This one goes out to Tom Petty"

Thanks to my faithful reader, Uyen, (maybe my only reader?) for pointing out my formatting is messed up on my previous post. I'm not sure how to fix it, but apologies.

SO LAST NIGHT WAS VAMPIRE WEEKEND. Yeaaaaah! Basically it was pretty epic from start to fin. It started out as my brother & I were walking past all the people who had gotten there (edited thanks to UYEN) earlier, to get in line. It was a long walk. An especially long walk to see all the people there looked SO OLD. I didn't know old people liked Vampire Weekend? But whatevs, it's cool. Except when it was kind of an 18+ show & I am kind of not 18 yet, I was hoping the median age group would be a little more in the early 20s rather than early 40s so I could blend in. I digress. It took so long to get in, even longer because of my anxiety, but yes, I managed to get in; the chick scanning our tickets didn't even look up to see my not-yet-18-guilty-face. The opening band was the Harlem Shakes. They were pretty good. Each member of the band was so into the music as their facial expressions revealed. Then. Then FINALLY, at 11:05, Vampire Weekend came on. Omg so beautiful. My brother thought they lost a charm when they played live, but I actually thought they brought a charm absent on the album. Ezra Koenig was witty & engaging, but hey, what to expect from a Columbia grad, right? Someone threw a shirt at Ezra when he commented lightly on our lack of dancing skills during "A-Punk" & he proceeded to wipe the bottom of his shoes with the shirt (wish it was mine haha). & Rostam Batmanglij was ridiculously cute after dedicating their one encore (Ezra came back on stage & said "We have one more song left, & no, we're not fucking around, we literally have one song left.")  "Walcott" to Tom Petty. Oh & I must say I really enjoyed Rostam's more present vocal harmony in their live playing. Their setlist consisted of all their album songs as well as "Ladies of Cambridge" & one new song that I must say filled my heart with joy, it was so superfantastiche! Their playing was so well intertwined together & they were all so cute & wonderful. My only disappointment was their lack of merch (one ugg shirt, no poster) & a small selections of songs. But whatevs, next time around they'll have two albums worth of songs & hopefully a nicer shirt. Oh & I'm sorry to say I don't have any pictures, compliments of the two big-shouldered oafs in front of me. Even so, with my obscured vision & the SAT that morning & my anxiety attack, I had a pretty nice (vampire) weekend (haha sorry, couldn't resist)!

1 comment:

Uyen said...

Well thanks for mentioning me in your blog. You're such a BETCH! But in all the best ways hahaha. :) So yeah, just because I'm perfect and I enjoy pointing out all of your flaws (only because I love you and want you to be perfect like me...kidding! about me being perfect that is), I'd just wanted you to know that you used "their" instead of "there" :
"It started out as my brother & I were walking past all the people who had gotten their earlier, to get in line."